Why the Healthcare Industry Should Use Cloud-Based EHR Systems
The use of electronic healthcare records (EHR) has transformed as digital resources have evolved, driving efficient and quality patient care. Replacing traditional paper-based records, these electronic systems have already had a profound impact on the industry. Cloud-based EHR systems are gaining prominence as a superior choice and we will explore the reasons why the healthcare industry should consider transitioning to these cloud-based EHR solutions.
• Accessibility and Mobility: Many healthcare professionals generally access their electronic patient records from a particular device in a particular location in the department. Cloud-based EHR systems make it more convenient by providing access for key providers, nurses, specialists, and administrative staff. The convenience of accessing vital patient information from any location or device helps facilitate efficient and effective use of this patient information to drive decisions around patient care, even when providers are off-site. This is one of the key reasons cloud-based EHR systems are a top choice for healthcare facilities.
• Cost-Efficiency: Cloud-based EHR systems work on a subscription model, which can substantially ease the financial strain on healthcare organizations when compared to traditional on-premises EHR systems. The latter often demand substantial initial capital investments and ongoing maintenance costs. Using cloud-based systems can get rid of the requirement for on-site servers, the expenses tied to maintaining dedicated IT personnel, and the costly hardware upgrades. In addition, a cloud-based EHR system can offer scalability, allowing healthcare providers to pay for the resources they need and expand or contract as required. This financial flexibility can make cloud-based EHR systems highly desirable for smaller practices and healthcare organizations with limited budgets.
• Security and Compliance: With HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and other compliance standards in the healthcare industry, the need for secure and compliant systems is a must. Built with strong security features that often exceed the security standards on-site solutions can achieve, cloud-based HER systems offer healthcare providers access to systems that employ advanced encryption, regular security updates, and redundant data backups to ensure data integrity and availability. Reputable cloud providers meet and exceed industry-specific security and compliance standards, enhancing security and ensuring your patient data remains protected and in compliance.
• Easier Updates and Maintenance: Maintenance and patching are necessary steps in ensuring systems are up-to-date and secure, but it can be a challenge for on-premises monitoring, management, and maintenance of EHR systems. Hiring on-site staff to perform these necessary tasks can also be an added expense, especially for providers with limited resources. The use of cloud-based EHR systems can help by shifting the responsibility for system updates, security enhancements, and bug fixes to the cloud service provider. As part of your subscription costs, these services assure that your system is current, secure, and compliant with the latest regulations.
• Collaboration and Integration: Because cloud-based EHR systems are readily accessible and secure, healthcare providers can easily share patient information which allows for safe and effective collaboration among providers, across different departments and facilities. Because they are designed to integrate seamlessly with other healthcare applications and systems, including laboratory systems and billing software, communication can be enhanced, errors can be reduced, and the overall quality of care provided to your patients is improved.
• Disaster Recovery: No one wants to deal with a disaster affecting your important patient information, especially in healthcare. However, sometimes disasters occur, so the ability to quickly recover patient records is crucial. Cloud-based EHR systems, particularly when paired with strong disaster recovery planning, offer solid solutions to keep your vital patient data safe. If you ever face a disaster or a cyberattack, you can take comfort in the knowledge that replication and backup services will reduce downtime and promptly restore your files, ensuring a swift and effective recovery.
As cloud-based EHR systems gain traction, the healthcare industry is rapidly seeing the benefits and embracing these digital solutions. These benefits offer healthcare practices and patients a higher quality of care, ensuring you are in the best hands. If your practice hasn’t made the shift to cloud-based EHR systems, reach out to Molnii to see how our tailored cloud services can help!